Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Tenth (What I loved in Movies and TV in 2012)


2012 was not a stellar year for me. To be honest it was just OK. A huge part of the reason it wasn't so stellar is my job. I am really unhappy at my job and I am hoping to change that in  2013. That being said I did have a lot of fun and some great family time in 2012. I also watched, listened to and read some pretty great things. This a about all those things in the entertainment world that I happened to love and a few I didn't like.
Television
Thanks to Netflix I discovered Dowton Abbey and, needless to say I was hooked from episode 1. I watched both series 1&2 each in one sitting. I loved everything about it from the time period to the relationships between the family and the staff. I especially loved the fact that it is set in the U.K. I love all things that come with a British or Irish accent.
Of all the shows that debuted in the U.S this year Smash is definitely at the top of my favorites list. Although I get angry with some of the things the characters do, and I go between loving and hating most of them in every episode I still love the show. Actually I think the fact that the characters are so flawed is one of the major reasons I love it. How boring would it be if everyone was sweet all the time?
I am also loving Scandal and Revolution and especially Revenge which is probably my favorite show on TV right now.
Thanks to Netflix again I discovered Luther which stars the excellent Idris Elba. Idris alone is reason enough to watch but the show is also really smart and the other characters are pretty great too. I also watched the first season of Alphas which is a pretty good show with some interesting twists and turns.
X Factor was actually a bit of a disappointment as it was the first time around. Britney Spears is kind of boring and LA Reid is a jerk, Simon was as always the same at least Demi is cute. The one bright spot on XFactor was the girl group Simon put together Fifth Harmony. I really liked them and they  had great voices. I have been longing for a girl group for a while and I hope they can go somewhere in music.
 MOVIES
I don't watch a ton on movies on the big screen I usually prefer to wait and watch them in the comfort of my own home. However there are just some movies that need to be seen on a giant screen with Dolby surround sound . Case in point TITANIC. I loved that movie when it first came on in 1997 and man did I love it just as much in 2012 when I saw it again. I watched it in 3D which actually didn't add anything to the movie except a couple bucks to the price.
2012 was a comic book movie year for me. By far 2 of my favorite movies this year were Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man. Now I know nothing about comic books. I know nothing about the back stories for either spider-man or any other comic book character. What I know is that both movies were fun and action packed and also had a story which was great. Another great thing was I saw these with my nephews so that they loved them added to my love of them. Can't wait for the sequels.
I also watched the EPIC Les Mis! What a great movie and really the singing was pretty on point at least in my opinion. I loved it so much I will probably go see it again on the big screen.
By far my favorite movie of the year was Butter with Jennifer Garner. I love Jennifer Garner so I will see anything she is in and when I heard about Butter I knew I wanted to see it. I rented this and man was this funny. I loved everything about it especially seeing Jennifer Garner in such a different role then she usually plays. This is a movie I will probably buy at some point.

I think I will end this here and put my book and music faves in another post as that will probably be long and no one wants to read a giant blog post (not that anyone is actually reading any of my blog posts) but I digress.

Until Next Time































































No comments:

Post a Comment