Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Tenth 1/2 (What I Loved in Books and Music)

This year in books was an interesting one for me. I have loved books since I can remember. My mom would read the Little House on the Prairie books to me and my sister every night before bed and, I think that is what developed my passion for reading. This year however when I look back at what I read I don't feel like it has much substance. I did read a few books that I love and discovered a new favorite but it was all around kind of lackluster. Because of this I have some new thoughts about how and what I read that I will post in a different post. Now on to the best and some not the best.

BOOKS
I discovered goodreads this year in May so I only really have been keeping track of the books I've read since then and I honestly can't really remember what I read before that. So since may I have read 35 books and above all others The Great Gatsby is far and away my favorite of the year. Honestly it is in my favorite of all time. I can't explain it because it is such a sad story and full of a bunch of dis likable people but I loved everything about it. I am planning on giving it a re-read just before the movie comes out in May I believe. Another book that ended up being a good read was Maisie Dobbs which is the first book in a series by Winspear, Jacqueline. I happened upon this book while on goodreads and it sounded interesting. It was also a bit sad but I liked it enough to continue reading the next books in the series. I realized that dystopian YA books are not really for me although I read Unwind by Neal Shusterman and that was interesting and kept me on the edge of my seat but I don't think I will pick the other books up. I finally read Confessions of a Shopaholic which by the way is exactly nothing like the movie but really fun and funny. I also picked up Bridget Jones diary and it turned out to be pretty different from the book as well but also really funny. I laughed out loud several times while reading both books. I plan on reading the other books in both series. Another highlight is another Sophie Kinsella book Remember Me? It was totally chick lit but had some substance to it. It was actually the first Kinsella book I read and made me really like her. The premise was interesting and even though I pretty much knew what was going to happen I still really enjoyed the read.

MUSIC
So music. If I had to sum up the year in music I would do it with one word XTINA! Even though Lotus came out in November it was THE highlight of the year in music for me. I can't say just how much I love love love this album. I am a Christina die hard I would buy anything she sings and so I knew I would love the album before I heard it. I think the stand outs on the album for me are Army Of Me, Cease Fire, Red Hot, Blank Page and Empty Words but truly I love it all. I am really hoping I can see her in concert that would just be amazing.
So my Boys (backstreet that is) came out with their very first original Christmas song. I hate Christmas songs but my boys sing it so what was I supposed to do? The song is called It's Christmas time Again and it's fun and catchy and I know all the words so.....

I think that about sums up my year in books and music. I know not a lot to be said but I know that 2013 will be for lack of a better word EPIC! My boys are releasing the first album with Kevin in 7 years so that is sure to be amazing. They are also touring and I will be there hopefully more than once. They are getting a star on the walk of fame and April marks their 20th anniversary.
 I know I will have a ton to say about them in the coming months so buckle up.

Until Next time

No comments:

Post a Comment