Friday, January 11, 2013

The 11th (The one where I discuss some goals for reading and movies in 2013)

Joey Jax
I am sitting in my bed watching Scream 3 while this cat snuggles next to me purring loudly and demanding attention. So it's just about 2 weeks into 2013{ SIDEBAR so far it looks a lot like 2012  }
and I think I have finally decided on my goals for the year. These are goals that will take most of the year. I want to do a separate post about some non-movie non-book goals that are shorter term that will come next week.
  • Read 80 books this year. At first I was going to go with 60 but I listen to a ton of audiobooks and I wanted to read 60 physical books so I allowed room for everything.
  • Watch 80 movies.  I love movies and there are quite a few new movies I will be seeing. I don't do the movie theater all that often I tend to be a renter but some movie must be seen on a big screen. So the 80 refers to new and old movies. I am not sure this is a realistic number but we shall see.
  • Read more books by Black authors. As I look back over my reading life I realized that I haven't read very many books by black authors. So this year I am making a conserted effort to expand my author horizons.
  • I want to read all the books that I own that I have not read yet. This won't be too hard I don't own a ton of books. I love books but I am also cheap so I tend to check books out from the library. Also I hate buying books and then reading them and disliking them (even if I only spend $2 bucks on them) And, I never buy brand new books I just can't spend that much money!! So we are talking about maybe 15-20 books all together so it won't be hard.
  • I want to finish the rest of the Anne of Green Gables books. I've read books 1 &2 and I believe there are 8 total.
  • I want to read all of the Jane Austen books I haven't read. So far I have only gotten to Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I am also re-reading Pride and Prejudice in anticipation of the stage play I will be going to at the end of the month.
  • I want to read more non-fiction books. Or I guess I should just say read nonfiction as I can't remember the last time I read one.
  • Most important is I want to expand my book horizons. As I looked over what I read last year it was clear I was in a book rut. Almost every book was from one of a handful of series and they were mostly cozy murder mysteries. It wasn't until I discovered book-tube on YouTube that I started to branch out again into other genres. Don't get me wrong some of those books are books I really liked and are from some of my favorite authors ( Louise Penny, Agatha Christie) but after a while murder mysteries all start to blend together and they become bland. I still want to read those books but I want to try lots of other genres as well. 
I have one more goal for the year that I will discuss in another post. It's kind of a big deal for me and has something to do with nanowrimo and I want to give  it it's own post and more thought.

Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment